Neory
I wrote when typhoon Ondoy came.

When I woke up this morning, it was raining heavily. The wind was blowing really hard, so hard, I can say that it was howling. I peeped at my window and saw plants and trees drenched in water. It was very gloomy outside. The rain did not stop. It poured harder around 9am. The rain continued for so long. I got up my bed and did my morning ritual (brushing my teeth, washing my face, eating breakfast). Then I did my assignments, updated my facebook, and read some of my books. I’ve already done a lot of things but it was still raining. Around 4pm, I started preparing for my friend’s debut party. I wore this blackish maroon, sort of violet, dress. As I was dressing up, I heard Jennica Garcia’s trembling voice on TV. She was crying. Their house was flooded and they needed some help. They were already on the second floor of their house, but the water was still rising. She also said that she can’t see their car already. Hearing Jennica’s story made me nervous. It was still raining that time. I thought to myself, “Should we still go to the party? It might be dangerous.” But still, we went. The rain was still pouring. Everything’s wet. Some parts of the road have these pond-like water formations. (Whatever you call it) I am referring to the ones that splash whenever a car passes on it. When we got to the toll gate, my mom asked the clerk what part of slex is flooded. The clerk said that Southwoods exit was flooded so we cannot pass. She told us to take carmona exit instead and just traverse the service road to get to Muntinlupa. Then we reached SLEX, there were only a few cars travelling. My sister said, “Hala! Wala ng tao.” It made me laugh. Haha. Then, when we got to Carmona, we saw many stranded cars. The clerk said that the roads going to Manila were closed. They weren’t letting anyone pass because of the chest-deep flood somewhere at SLEX. I even saw a truck, the one used by construction suppliers, with people on it. Some were wearing kapote and some were protecting themselves from the rain by their umbrellas. But I think, they were all wet already. We passed by Paseo de Carmona, and then as we go along, we noticed that the road ahead us is flooded. My mom continued driving, telling us not to worry because the water is just shallow. We were riding a Ford Lynx. (imagine how low is that) As we went along, we heard gushes of water on the sides of the car. We even felt the waves. It felt like the waves were lifting our car a bit. Then, the water begun rising. The waves became more intense. We panicked! So our mom also panicked. Haha. We were afraid because our car is an automatic one. If we get stuck, it can’t be pushed. We parked our car in front of an establishment. I haven’t read the name, ‘coz it wasn’t my concern, haha. All I really cared about that time is to go home safely. We waited for the water to subside. For an hour, we just stayed there. Waiting. Good thing I brought with me Dom’s book, The Pretenders. I read it, and I’ve read a lot without noticing! I finished until page 18. That may not seem to be unusual for some, but for me, it was a record! Haha! It usually takes me a lot of time when reading books. Well, the story was quite interesting. It made me ask many questions to myself, maybe that’s the reason why I keep on reading, to find the answers.

I’ve seen people walking through the flood, people who were stranded, people who were waiting for the rain to stop. The traffic of messages is quite heavy. Messages sent were delayed on their ways. Networks were busy. While on our way home, I was trying to contact my dad, so that he would not worry about us. When I was talking to him, there were interrupting sounds, sounds that seems to come from aliens, I don’t know. There is this one thing that made me laugh. I asked Daddy, “Asan ka na po ba ngayon?” Then he answered, “Nasan ako? Eh di ba, kanina nasa bahay ako?” (Hahahahaah! Well, I hope you got it.) Then finally, we got home. It was still raining, but not as hard as earlier. Then, while doing my stuffs, I could hear the news from my sister’s tv. It was all about, of course, the storm and the damage it had caused. There were still many people left unrescued on the tops of their houses, including Christine Reyes. In other areas, there were people who died. I am not so updated about the happenings because I do not have my television. I mean, technically. I actually have my T.V. inside my room, but the cable wasn’t attached to it so I can’t watch anything. Haha. It’s useless. Anyway, going back to the fact that this storm have caused a lot of distress, and have taken lives of our fellow Filipinos, it makes me feel sad. I feel like Mother Nature is really angry. Just look back at what had happened this year. It was hot during January and February, and rain poured during the summer season. June, July, and August came. There were storms, but not so intense. And only in this year, that I did not have rain on my birthday. Now, at the month of September, came storms. Storms like this (Bagyong Ondoy) that is really distressful. I’m wondering what happened to my friend’s debut party. These incidents made me realize more the things that I have. How blessed I am. Our house wasn’t flooded. We still have this beautiful shelter, good as new. It wasn’t damaged by the storm. I didn’t have to go through the same unfortunate things that happened to some of our kababayans. Two of my classmates needed to go through a series of floods in order for them to reach home. JC spent 2 hours to go home while it took Arnon almost 8hours to reach home. Gosh! I was very thankful the same thing did not happen to me. Then, I found out that Lou and Hap were still at MCL! And they are going to sleep there! They were stranded and they had no choice but to stay. They’ll be going home tomorrow. Lou said that there were relief goods from Sir mesina. They had rice and soaps, also pillows. I told them that it was a one of a kind experience. Haha! When I was talking to him, it seems like they were enjoying their stay there. Haha! I just hope that they would be fine, and everyone would be fine.
0 Responses

Post a Comment