Neory
I got this post from Tumblr.

Did you know that in Japan there are 3 ways to say “I love you”? You say “Daisuki” for friends and for guys you like, you say “Aishiteru” (for a more serious relationship), and you say “Koishiteru” to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. They follow this rule and this is one of the things I admire about them. They didn’t make “I love you” lose its meaning like us.

I reposted it in facebook and Sir Mangohig replied.

"Analyzing it literally: Dai = you use it to indicate extreme, suki =like, so when you say daisuki, its extreme like which is equivalent to love. another sample "daikirai", kirai = dis-like, so daikirai is hate. "Koi" is a love for the opposite sex, or a feeling of longing for a specific person. It can be described as "romantic love" or "passionate love." While "ai" has the same meaning as "koi," it also has a definition of a general feeling of love. "Koi" can be selfish, but "ai" is a real love. Here are some lines that explain them well: Koi is always wanting. Ai is always giving. You can directly say to a Japanese, i love you...but the pronounciation would not be as pleasant : "i rub you" hehehe....just my 2 cents ( i miss Japan)"

That's one heck of an explanation. Haha. Sir Mangohig worked in Japan so he knew Nihonggo. From his explanations, Daisuki means "Super like" (haha! extreme daw eh!). For "Ai" and "Koi", I can't seem to think of any synonymous english words to translate them. For me, I think "Ai" is used when expressing unconditional love and "Koi" is used when expressing romantic or maybe even erotic love.

Whatever is the real translations of those, never tell the words "I love you." to someone you don't really love. You'll just hurt them if they found out the truth.
0 Responses

Post a Comment